“Commercial operation status ensures technical compliance to statutory, safety and legal requirements. This signatory milestone marks the contractual handover of the unit from the primary contractors to Eskom, which means that Medupi Unit 5 is now part of the Eskom generation fleet,” interim group CEO Matshela Koko said in a statement.
Medupi Unit 6 became commercially operational on August 23, 2015.
- 25 000 job losses at Eskom's account and counting
- Longyuan Mulilo De Aar Wind Power Project in South Africa starts operation
- To save Eskom from ruin, SA should ditch nuclear plan and cut coal power
- ELGi’s high pressure diesel power screw compressors reach new depths
- South Africa’s eskom not insolvent but facing cashflow trouble