The Federated Employer’s Mutual Assurance Company (Rf) (Pty) Ltd (FEM) was established as a mutual insurer in 1936, to provide more affordable assurance for the construction industry, after new legislation forced all industrial employers to insure their workers against accident or injury.
The introduction of the Workmen’s Compensation Act of 1941 saw FEM being granted a license to continue to transact workmen’s compensation insurance for the construction industry. FEM’s operates in line with the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act 130/1993 (COIDA) – in the construction industry.
Accidents that arise out of and during employment resulting in personal injury or illness; occupational diseases contracted in the workplace; and fatalities as a result of an accident that happens on duty are typically covered by this assurance.
FEM is only one of two private companies licensed to provide COIDA cover outside of the Compensation Fund, and is the only company that provides cover for the construction sector.
Some of FEM’s greatest successes:
• Through persistent efforts of FEM promoting Health and Safety in partnership with industry stakeholders, it has managed to bring down accident statistics over the years from 8 per 100 employees getting injured, to 2.5 per 100 employees getting injured.
It has encouraged policyholders to increase their safety standards by rewarding those with favourable claims cost ratios through Merit Rebates. It has also partnered with industry associations to assist our policyholders in raising their standard of health and safety through training and interventions.
Benefits of joining FEM
• Rewarding good health and safety practices through merit rebates.
• Easy access to online Assessments.
• Access to various industry Health & Safety organisations.
• Ensuring the best possible medical care for injured workers.
• Personalised claims services by its team of specialised administrators. • Ongoing care and assistance to pensioners.
‘At FEM it is our firm belief that we can have a construction industry with zero injuries. We just have to believe it and it will soon be a reality’ says Herman Enoch FEM’s Marketing & Communications Manager.