With help from the University of Cape Town, annual publication Top 500 South Africa’s Best Managed Company has whittled the country’s financial firms down the its finest. The study splits the finance industry into 10 main sectors; we picked the leading company from each.
The researchers recognised three main sectors: financial performance, empowerment, and policy and accreditation. The study also factored in the social and developmental policies. Here’s the final outcome:
10. Bank – Standard Bank
Standard Bank tops the banking charts, as it did last year. It has the sector’s highest turnover, along with the highest rand growth and strong employee efficiencies.
9. Short-term insurance – Santam Limited
Santam Limited has held the top spot for six consecutive years now. It is the largest company in the industry with the second highest employee efficiency.
8. Life Insurance – Liberty Holdings
Liberty has the highest turnover for the period in review, and strong efficiency per employee. It was ranked fourth place last year.
7. Investment Holding Company – Remgro
As with last year, Remgro is the top investment holding company in terms of turnover.
6. Investment Service – PSG
PSG dominates the market and is one of South Africa’s most successful business empires. It has an impressive turnover growth of 45.7 percent for the period under review.
5. Real Estate Holdings and Development – Growthpoint Properties
Growthpoint Properties has the highest turnover and a strong productivity per employee.
4. Auction Houses – Claremart Auctioneers
Claremart Auctioneers has the highest turnover in the auction house sector, followed by Strauss & Co.
3. Asset Management - Old Mutual Investment Group
Old Mutual bags top honours in the asset management sector. PSG group made another appearance, coming in second in this category.
2. Accounting and consulting - PWC South Africa
PriceWaterHouseCoopers South Africa has the sectors highest rand growth. It is also Africa's largest provider of professional services.
1. Speciality Finance - Zeder Investments
Zeder investments has the highest annual turnover for the period and highest employment efficiency.
- 10 start-ups expected to disrupt South Africa’s business landscape
- Officials at the signing ceremony Building Energy to set up hydroelectric plant in South Africa
- Confidence levels in SA are highest in 6 years
- Sea Harvest has partnered up with Surfing South Africa and Waves for Change
- Uber South Africa to bring flu vaccinations to your doorstep for R100