The City of Cape Town announced plans in April this year to combat traffic congestion in Cape Town by investing in a R481 million traffic-relief construction project.
This came after the City’s draft budget for the 2018/2019 year was submitted at Council. The City’s traffic congestion remains an increasing nightmare for motorists. Just last year, Cape Town was named the most congested city, according to the TomTom Traffic Index 2017 which measures congestion on the road of 390 countries around the world.
The City’s mayoral committee Member for Transport and Urban Development, Brett Herron reportedly said on June 12 that this funds had been allocated for congestion relief projects which will take place over three financial years, starting July 1 2018, reports Business Tech.
Six projects are reportedly under construction, two in Kuils River, two in Kommetjie, one in Somerset West and one in Milnerton. There are an additional 16 projects that are in the planning and design phase.
This is a list of the completed projects so far:
- Plattekloof Road turned into a dual carriageway between Gert van Rooyen and De Grendel Avenues in Bothasig, in conjunction with private developers
- Upgrade of the R300/Bottelary interchange in Kuils River, in conjunction with the Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works and the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral)
- Extension of Amandel Road from Bottelary Road to the Bottelary River bridge
- Extension of Saxdowns Road from the Haasendal development to the intersection with Halleria Street, completing the missing link between the Langverwacht and Bottelary Roads, in conjunction with private developers
- Extension of Jip de Jager Road from Van Riebeeckshof to Racecourse Road in Bellville, in conjunction with private developers
6 road construction projects underway:
- Widening of Van Riebeeck Road/Strand Street between the R300 and Peter Barlow Road, as well as the widening of the Van Riebeeck Road/R300 north-bound off-ramp in conjunction with Sanral;
- The dualling of Langverwacht Road between Amandel Road and the Zevenwacht Link Road
- The dualling of Kommetjie Road between Capri Drive and Ou Kaapse Weg
- The dualling of Ou Kaapse Weg between Kommetjie Road and Noordhoek Main Road
- Dualling of Broadway Boulevard from Beach to Main Roads in Somerset West
- Dualling of Bosmansdam Road between Montague Drive and Koeberg Road, in conjunction with private developers.