Menu

Energy Minister delays release of RFPs

Nuclear - [https://www.americansecurityproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bigstock_Nuclear_5351904.jpg] Nuclear - [https://www.americansecurityproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bigstock_Nuclear_5351904.jpg]

According to SAnews Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson has delayed the release of the Request for Proposals (RFP) regarding the Nuclear New Build Programme.

Minister Joemat-Pettersson had previously said in Parliament the department would issue the RFP soon.

“Minister Joemat-Pettersson has considered various representations over the last two weeks for further consultation and discussion around the Nuclear New Build Programme and has also indicated that more information will be shared regarding the build-up to the procurement process.

“As a result, the Minister has decided to delay the release of the Request for Proposals until such processes have been completed,” said the Department of Energy on Thursday.

South Africa plans to introduce 9,600 megawatts of nuclear energy in the next decade.

“Government remains fully committed to the Nuclear New Build Programme in terms of decisions already taken,” said the department.

The Minister has on numerous occasions said the nuclear energy expansion programme remains central to South Africa’s future energy mix.

“The nuclear energy expansion programme is a central feature of our future energy mix, given the need to provide base load electricity and also to meet the significant greenhouse gas emissions reduction target we have set for our country,” said the Minister.


 

 

Source 

SAnews.gov.za

back to top

Industries

About us

Follow us

Follow us @BusinessNewsCT

BusinessNewsCT Government restricts groundwater use in parts of the Cape - https://t.co/gsQ1Wshlh1 https://t.co/k8E47qkIRY
24hreplyretweetfavorite
BusinessNewsCT Drug firm has a plan to bypass tap water - https://t.co/3vCxoTIarZ https://t.co/zcExsIDSuP