Last week, CBN met up with Le Roux Roelofse, Tax Director for Deloitte, to have a pre-budget speech analysis – focussing on tax.
Roelofse is a qualified attorney specialising in international and corporate taxation, including corporate mergers and acquisitions. Le Roux has been based in the Cape Town office of Deloitte for 13 years.
Le Roux has extensive experience advising local and multinational companies on a range of corporate tax issues, including the application of South Africa’s controlled foreign company regime, inbound and outbound investments and group restructures. He has also advised a number of South African and foreign clients on corporate acquisitions, restructures and mergers, including tax due diligence reviews, providing tax structuring advice and advising on the tax efficient restructuring of corporate groups seeking to comply with South Africa’s black economic empowerment rules.
Some issues Roelofse touches in this video are:
- Why the VAT rate has not been increased in the past
- South Africa being a deeply unequal society
- Is tax too political?
- Tax issues we are faced with in South Africa
- Will there be any adaptions to the tax law during the budget speech?
- Is government using the tax payments wisely and efficiently?
- The redistribution of the wealth of the economy.